Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 1: Leaving for Uganda

Day 1 : Leaving for Uganda

The day started off @ 230AM, kissed the family goodbye, and then off to the airport.  On the way to the airport, I received a call from Patrick that he was waiting at the airport for me in Uganda.  I had accidentally given them the wrong date for arrival.  I gave them my departure date- whoops, or I can use the good ole’ excuse “lost in translation.”  Sorry guys!

I arrived to check-in and received confirmation for the beginning of the trip.  First off my primary bag was 9 lbs over weight, so the ticket lady recommended I redistribute my weight between bags, if not I was going to be charged $200 over packing fee.  My bags were busting at the seams as it was, so I moved what I could but knew something had to go.  I set a small box with about 50 small tubes of Colgate up on the counter and asked for her to please throw the box away.  She said “Colgate, what are you doing with a box of Colgate?”  So I explained I was traveling to Uganda to visit an orphanage.  Prior to me sharing this, the woman was not in the mood to even spare 1 pound, but her attitude changed.  With a smile on her face, she said we can’t allow you to throw anything away and everything needs to go back into your bag for no additional charge.  She asked her friend, did you see anything, and of course her friend said, nope not a thing.  They both then insisted on giving me pens and notepads to take with me to distribute to the children at the orphanage.  And I was on my way 10 lbs heavier than I should have been, now with even more supplies than I originally arrived with : ).  Not bad way to begin a mission trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment