Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 6: Time to go swimming- yes swimming : )


Today was a great day of fun!

We have been without electricity for the last 4 days, so it has been difficult to write because I have to travel into town in order to have my computer charged.  The temperatures are nearing 100 degrees during the day and dropping down to around the upper 60’s at night.  It has been HOT!  So check this out, there is a wealthy business owner from the community that installed a swimming pool which they have opened to the surrounding community.  For just under a $1.00 kids are able to swim and adults for $1.50, so I took 24 of the older children from the orphanage swimming last night.  We had a blast, and I was amazed by how well some of the children could swim.  Some of them became brave enough to let me launch them through the air too.  The lifeguard most definitely earned his keep last night.  I laid down the ground rules before we all jumped in, and over the course of 2 hours not one fell out of line.  These children are so well behaved and respectful of everyone around them.  Patrick and William have done such an amazing job raising all of them.  I wish each of you could come and share this experience with me.  My goal is to hopefully bring a team here to Uganda over the course of the next few years so you will be able to experience the children first hand.




Back at the house, everything falls into almost perfect order.  The older ones are assigned to over-see certain responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, water fetching, and gate keeping.  So in an essence, you have the older ones discipling the younger ones.  The home runs like a well oiled machine, just as a well functioning and healthy family should. This is truly miraculous given the childrens' background, not too mention it has only been two years since most have been off the streets.

This morning we all attended the local church. What a sight to see all 40+ children walking through the village 2 by 2.  They all sat so well and behaved through almost a 2 hour service.  The children from the orphanage fill roughly 1/3 of the open aired church.  The children are such a blessing to members of the congregation, and they are all embraced. There is a saying in African culture, “the children belong to the community first and then to the  parents.”  You can observe this philosophy being modeled as you stroll through the village.

I will be uploading some photos of the kids and their swimming experience very soon.  The next blog will be an update on the actual living facility and a few critical upgrades that need to take place soon. 

Wishing you all a great weekend and look forward to seeing you soon.

FYI- I have been showering from a jug for the last week, but was happy to meet someone who has offered me to use their shower facility.  I might have to spoil myself a few times before I leave and accept their invitation:)! 

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! Tell me, what Internet provider are they using? Or do you have to go to a cyber cafe to post?

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete